Instructions on Application for Restoration of Chinese Nationality
1. Conditions for Application
Foreign nationals who once held Chinese nationality may apply for restoration of Chinese nationality if they have legitimate reasons; upon approval of their applications for restoration of Chinese nationality, the applicants shall not retain any longer their foreign nationality.
2. Authorities to Accept, Review and Approve Applications
The applications for restoration of Chinese nationality at home shall be handled by the public security bureaus of the cities or counties where the applicants reside; the applications abroad shall be handled by China's diplomatic representative agencies and consular offices. The applications for restoration of Chinese nationality are subject to review and approval by the Ministry of Public Security of the People's Republic of China.
3. Application Process
(1) Fill in the Application Form for Restoration of Nationality of the People's Republic of China.
(2) Submit a written declaration on voluntarily applying for restoration of Chinese nationality and renunciation of foreign nationality;
(3) Submit corresponding supporting materials: duplicate of foreign passport; materials proving the applicant once held Chinese nationality; supporting materials stating the reasons for the application, and other materials deemed by the authorities that are responsible for accepting the application to be relevant to the application for restoration of Chinese nationality.
Applicants shall not retain their foreign nationality upon approval of their application for restoration of Chinese nationality. Those having their Chinese nationality restored shall go through exit and entry procedures in accordance with the regulations for Chinese citizens.
Notice: The English version is only for reference. To learn more, please refer to the authoritative Chinese version.