Service Guide on Issuance of Exit-Entry Permits for Foreigners
I. Scope of Application
This service guide is applicable to foreigners applying for exit-entry permits.
II. Legal Basis
Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People's Republic of China, Regulations of the People's Republic of China on Administration of the Exit and Entry of Foreigners.
III. Competent Authorities
The National Immigration Administration (NIA) has entrusted the exit-entry administration authorities of public security organs at the prefecture-level (including districts and counties under the administration of municipalities directly under the central government) and above to accept applications for exit-entry permits of foreigners.
With the approval of NIA at the request of exit-entry administration authorities under provincial public security organs, exit-entry administration authorities of county-level public security organs may be authorized by NIA to accept applications for exit-entry permits of foreigners.
IV. Application Conditions
1. Where a foreigner in China has no valid passport or other international travel document due to loss, damage, theft and robbery and is not able to obtain reissued documents from the embassy or consulate of his/her country in China, he/she shall submit a certification of passport loss report or a note from the embassy or consulate of his/her country in China or present invalidated or expired documents and any temporary identity document in use instead of a passport.
2. For other circumstances where NIA considers it necessary to issue exit-entry permits for foreigners., relevant provisions shall prevail.
V. Prohibitive Requirements
Where an applicant does not comply with the aforementioned conditions for application or falls within the circumstances stipulated in Article 28 of the Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People's Republic of China, the exit-entry permits for foreigners shall not be issued.
VI. Application Materials
1. Applicants shall fill in the Visa/Stay Permit/Residence Permit Application Form and submit a photo that complies with the Guidelines for Exit and Entry Documents Photographs.
2. Applicants shall submit a certification for passport loss report or a note from the embassy or consulate of his/her country of residence in China, or present invalidated or expired document and any temporary identity document in use instead of a passport.
3. Other supporting materials deemed necessary by NIA.
VII. Basic Process and Way of Application
1. Application. To apply for foreigners' exit-entry permit, foreigners shall complete relevant procedures and accept interview in person at the exit-entry administration authority of public security organs.
2. Acceptance. The competent authority shall review and decide whether or not to accept an application. Where the application falls within the scope of the administrative authority, and the application materials are complete and comply with the requirements, the application shall be accepted on the spot and an acceptance receipt shall be issued. Where the formalities and materials required for the application for exit-entry permit are incomplete, the competent authority shall inform the applicant of the formalities to be completed and the materials to be supplemented at one time.
3. Review and Verification. The public security organs shall strengthen the verification process to ensure authenticity of the application reasons through interviews, telephone inquiries, field investigations and other means, and confirm whether the applicant is of foreign nationality. Where an applicant or relevant entity/individual is notified to take an interview but fails to do that at the agreed time without justifiable reasons, the application may be denied by law.
4. Decision. For applications eligible for the conditions and criteria, the decision-making authority shall decide to issue exit-entry permits for foreigners.
VIII. Time Limit for Issuance
A decision shall be made within 30 working days from the date of accepting the application for exit-entry permit for foreigners.
IX. Charging Basis and Standards
1. Basis for Charges
Notice of the Ministry of Public Security of People's Republic of China on Adjusting the Fees for Visas and Documents of Foreigners (Gong Tong Zi  No. 89).
2. Charging Standards
Exit-entry permit for foreigners: CNY 100
X. Results Delivery
Approved and issued exit-entry permit for foreigners shall be collected by the applicant in person at the relevant exit-entry administration authority of public security organs with the acceptance receipt.
XI. Rights and obligations of administrative counterpart
1. Applicants are entitled to the following rights according to relevant laws and regulations:
a. Those who meet the legal conditions and criteria are entitled to equal rights to obtain an administrative license in accordance with law;
b. They shall have the right to make statements and defend against implementation of the administrative license by an administrative authority;
c. Other rights stipulated by laws and regulations.
2. Applicants shall perform the following obligations in accordance with relevant laws and regulations:
a. Applicants shall submit relevant materials and reflect the reality truthfully to the administrative authority, and shall be held responsible for authenticity of substantive content of the application materials;
b. Applicants shall cooperate with administrative authorities to verify authenticity of the application materials through interviews, telephone inquiries, field investigations and so on;
c. Other obligations stipulated by laws and regulations.
XII. Flowchart for issuance of exit-entry permits for foreigners
XIII. Sample of the exit-entry permit
Notice: The English version is only for reference. To learn more, please refer to the authoritative Chinese version.