Instructions for Foreign Nationals to Apply for Port Visas
I. Scope of Applicants for Port Visas
Foreigners who need to enter China urgently for humanitarian reasons, or are invited to enter China for urgent business activities or engineering repair, or have other urgent needs, and hold supporting materials approved by relevant competent departments to apply for visas at entry ports;
Foreign tour groups that are organized and invited by approved travel agencies with corresponding qualifications.
II. Legal Basis
Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People's Republic of China, Regulations of the People's Republic of China on Administration of the Entry and Exit of Foreigners.
1. For an individual applying for a port visa, the applicant may submit the application to the port visa authority on their arrival at the entry port.
2. For a tour group applying for port visas, the travel agency that invites the tour group and organizes the tour shall submit the application to the port visa authority.
3. The inviting entity (or individual) may file an application to the local port visa authority on behalf of a foreigner before the latter's arrival at the port of entry. If the inviting entity (or individual) files an application to a non-local port visa authority on behalf of a foreigner, the application may be forwarded through the exit-entry authorities of public security organs at or above prefecture level in the submitter's location.
IV. Supporting Materials Required for Port Visa Application
Foreigners who apply for port visas shall accept the inquiries from port visa authorities. If the port visa authorities need to verify relevant information with the inviting entity (or individual), the entity (or individual) shall provide necessary assistance.
To apply for a port visa, the applicant shall submit a valid passport or other international travel documents, fill in the Port Visa Application Form, submit personal photos that meet specified requirements. The applicant is also required to present an invitation letter as well as supporting materials provided by relevant competent departments or the inviting entity (or individual) that state the matters for urgent entry or present the invitation letter provided by a travel agency.
When filing a port visa application on behalf of a foreigner, the inviting entity (or individual) shall submit a duplicate of the applicant's passport or other international travel documents as well as the invitation letter or supporting materials relevant to the matters for urgent entry.
1. To apply for C (Crew) visa, invitation letters that state the reasons for urgent entry shall be submitted. The invitation letters shall be provided by competent departments of the people's government at or above the county level and by transportation companies in the fields of civil aviation, railway, road, and port, etc.
2. To apply for F (Visitor) visa, supporting materials issued by competent departments shall be submitted to show the official approval of applying for a visa at the port of entry.
3. To apply for group L (Tourist) visa, the number of tourists in the tour group shall be two or more, while an invitation letter, name list of the tourists as well as the itinerary and reception plan provided by a travel agency which is approved and has corresponding qualifications shall be submitted.
4. To apply for M (Business) visa, an invitation letter provided by an authorized entity or a registered entity to state the reasons for urgent entry shall be submitted. If being invited by other entities, relevant materials are required, including schedule and reception plan of related activities for entry, an invitation letter stating the reasons for urgent entry, and relevant certificates of legal registration.
5. To apply for Q2 (Short-Term Family Reunion) visa, the applicant shall submit the invitation letter provided by a Chinese citizen or a foreigner with permanent residency status in China to state the family relationship and the reasons for urgent entry, and identity certificates of the inviting party.
6. To apply for R (Talent) visa, the applicant shall submit supporting materials provided by competent departments of talents as well as an invitation letter provided by the inviting unit to state the reasons for urgent entry.
7. To apply for the S2 (Short-Term Private Business) visa, the applicant who plans to visit relatives shall submit the invitation letter provided by a foreigner staying or residing in China to state family relationship and the reasons for urgent entry as well as the passport and residence certificate of the inviting party. The applicant entering China for other personal matters, shall submit relevant supporting materials for urgent entry due to private emergencies or other humanitarian reasons.
V. Facilitation Measures
Foreigners who are invited to China to participate in major events, important meetings, and construction of key projects under the Belt and Road Initiative may apply for port visas with the supporting materials issued by relevant Chinese competent departments in case of insufficient time to apply for visas due to unexpected and urgent matters.
Foreign experts and scholars invited by key domestic institutions of higher learning, scientific research institutes and renowned enterprises, as well as the high-level foreign management talents and technical specialists identified by the competent departments of talents as well as the competent departments of science and technology innovation of the people's governments of cities divided into districts or above, may apply for port visas for entry. The aforementioned applicants after entry may apply for multiple-entry visas or residence permits valid for 5 years to the exit-entry departments of public security organs with relevant supporting materials provided by the inviting units.
VI. Port Visa Issuance
Port visas shall be issued by port visa authorities to individual applicants when they arrive at ports of entry and to foreign tour groups before their entry.
Port visa authorities shall issue corresponding types of visas based on the applicants' reasons for entry, and the visas issued are valid for a single entry.
For individual visas, the validity period for entry shall not exceed 5 days and the duration of stay shall not exceed 30 days. For group tourist visas, the validity period for entry shall not exceed 15 days and the duration of stay shall not exceed 30 days. Under special circumstances, port visa authorities may impose restrictions and specify them in visas on matters such as the stay areas for foreigners after their entry and the ports of exit.
VII. Charging Standards
Port visa service shall be charged in accordance with the charging standards set by the State.
VIII. Other Matters for Attention
1. Port visa authority shall issue a receipt of acceptance after receiving an application filed by an inviting entity (or individual) on behalf of a foreign applicant provided the application complies with relevant requirements. The applicant may apply for a port visa with the receipt of acceptance upon arrival at the port of entry.
2. A foreigner who holds a port visa shall enter China through the port where the issuing authority is located, while a tour group can enter China through any of the open ports. Under special circumstances, foreigners shall stay in specified areas and leave the country through specified ports in accordance with the requirements of port visa authorities.
3. Port visa authorities in Shenzhen, Zhuhai, and Xiamen may issue special economic zone tourist visas with a duration of stay for three or five days. Foreigners holding a special economic zone tourist visa shall not stay beyond the city's administrative area where the entry port is located.
4. Definition of family members: spouse, parents, spouse's parents, children, siblings, paternal grandparents, maternal grandparents, paternal grandchildren, maternal grandchildren, and children's spouse.
5. Identity certificates. Identity certificates of Chinese mainland resident refer to household register certificates or certificates of residence that prove the actual places of residence for over 6 months as well as resident ID cards. Overseas Chinese identity certificates refer to Chinese passports and certificates of overseas residence. Identity certificates of Hong Kong and Macao residents refer to the Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents. Taiwan resident identity certificates refer to the Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents. Foreigner's identity certificates refer to Foreigner's Permanent Residence Card. Overseas Chinese as well as Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan residents shall also submit the certificate of residence that prove the actual places of residence for over 6 months.
6. Relevant supporting materials in foreign languages shall be translated into Chinese.
Ⅸ. List of China's Port Visa Authorities
Province, Autonomous Region
and Municipality Directly
Under the Central Government
Name of Ports
Province, Autonomous Region
and Municipality Directly Under
the Central Government
Name of Ports
Beijing Capital International Airport;
Beijing Daxing International Airport
Xi'an Xianyang International Airport
Tianjin Binhai International Airport;
Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport
Shijiazhuang Zhengding International Airport
Nanchang Changbei International Airport
Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport;
Shanghai Pudong International Airport;
Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport;
Wenzhou Longwan International Airport;
Ningbo Lishe International Airport
Nanjing Lukou International Airport;
Wuxi Sunan Shuofang International Airport,
Changzhou Benniu International Airport;
Xuzhou Guanyin International Airport;
Yanchen Nanyang International Airport
Guilin Liangjiang International Airport;
Nanning Wuxu International Airport;
Dongxing Land Port;
Land Port of Pingxiang Friendship Pass
Shenyang Taoxian International Airport;
Dalian Zhouzishui International Airport;
Dalian Port; Yingkou Port; Dandong Port
Haikou Meilan International Airport;
Sanya Phoenix International Airport;
Yinchuan Hedong International Airport
Taiyuan Wusu International Airport
Zhengzhou Xinzheng International Airport
Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport
Fuzhou Changle International Airport;
Xiamen Gaoqi International Airport; Xiamen Port;
Xiamen Wutong Ferry Terminal (Wutong Port);
Quanzhou Jinjiang International Airport;
Pingtan Aoqian Port
Heihe Land Port; Dongning Land Port;
Suifenghe Land Port;
Fuyuan Land Port; Tongjiang Land Port;
Harbin Taiping International Airport;
Raohe Land Port;
Luobei Land Port
Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport;
Tianhe Railway Station;
Shenzhen Luohu Land Port;
Shenzhen Shekou Port;
Shenzhen Huanggang Land Port;
Shenzhen Baoan International Airport;
Shenzhen Airport Fuyong Ferry Terminal (Fuyong Port);
Zhuhai Jinwan International Airport; Jiuzhou Port;
Hengqin Land Port;
Jieyang Chaoshan International Airport;
Shantou Port; Zhongshan Port; Zhuhai Land Port
Jinan Yaoqiang International Airport;
Qingdao Liuting International Airport;
Yantai Laishan International Airport;
Weihai Dashuibo International Airport;
Shidao Port; Longyan Port; Rizhao Port
Changchun Longjia International Airport;
Huichun (Land Port);
Yanji Chaoyangchuan International Airport
Changsha Huanghua International Airport;
Zhangjiajie Hehua International Airport
Kunming Changshui International Airport;
Hekou Land Port; Mohan Land Port
Xining Caojiapu International Airport
Hefei Xinqiao International Airport;
Huangshan Tunxi International Airport
Lanzhou Zhongchuan International Airport
Guiyang Longdongbao International Airport
Wuhan Tianhe International Airport
Manzhouli Land Port;
Manzhouli Xijiao International Airport;
Erlianhot Land Port;
Hulunbuir Dongshan International Airport
Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region
Urumqi Diwopu International Airport;
Khorgas Land Port;
Kashgar International Airport
Ⅹ. Sample of Group Visa
Notice: The English version is only for reference. To learn more, please refer to the authoritative Chinese version.