Interpretation of 144-hour Visa-free Transit Policy for Foreigners from Some Countries
With the approval of the State Council, ports in Shanghai Municipality, Jiangsu Province and Zhejiang Province, ports in Beijing Municipality, Tianjin Municipality, Hebei Province, and some ports in Liaoning Province will implement the 144-hour visa-free transit policy for foreign nationals from 53 countries (list is attached).
1. Foreigners transiting via Shanghai Pudong International Airport, Hongqiao International Airport, Shanghai Train Station, Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal, Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal, Nanjing Lukou International Airport and Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport may choose any of the above ports for entry or exit, and have visa-free stay for 144 hours within the administrative areas of Shanghai Municipality, Jiangsu Province and Zhejiang Province.
2. Foreigners transiting via Beijing Capital International Airport, Beijingxi Railway Station, Tianjin Binhai International Airport, Tianjin International Cruise Home Port, Shijiazhuang Zhengding International Airport and Port of Qinhuangdao may choose any of the above ports for entry or exit, and have visa-free stay for 144 hours within the administrative areas of Beijing Municipality, Tianjin Municipality and Hebei Province.
3. Foreigners transiting via Shenyang Taoxian International Airport and Dalian Zhoushuizi International Airport may choose either of the above ports for entry or exit, and have visa-free stay for 144 hours within the administrative areas of Liaoning Province.
Foreign nationals applying for 144-hour visa-free transit shall hold a valid passport or other international travel documents, interline tickets with confirmed date and seat to leave for a third country (region) within 144 hours, fill landing card for foreigners in transit, and accept inquiries from the entry-exit frontier inspection station. The entry-exit frontier inspection station shall not issue temporary entry permits to foreigners in following circumstances:
- Foreigners who are not allowed to enter China by laws or administrative regulations;
- Foreigners whose passports or other international travel documents are expiring in less than 3 months, or with stamp of rejection by China's visa-issuing agencies;
- Foreigners who have a record of illegal entry or exit, illegal residence, or illegal employment within 5 years;
- Foreigners who have a record of violations of accommodation registration regulations within 2 years and the circumstances are severe. Besides, this policy is not applicable to crew members of international cruises and their accompanying families.
During the visa-free transit, foreigners shall abide by Chinese laws and regulations, and shall not leave the permitted area of staying and exceed the permitted transit time. For foreigners staying at hotels, the hotels shall register their stay. For foreigners residing or staying at other places, the foreigners or their host shall register at public security organs (police stations or service stations for foreigners) within 24 hours of their stay. For foreigners needing to stay beyond 144 hours due to force majeure, they shall apply to the exit and entry departments of China's public security organs for corresponding stay permit in accordance with regulations.
Foreigners, who leave the restricted area or overstay the temporary entry permit period or leave China via points of exit and entry other than designated ones or fail to register their accommodation in accordance with law, shall be treated and punished in accordance with law by entry-exit frontier inspection authorities or the public security organs of the local government.
1. List of countries enjoying 144-hour visa-free transit (53 countries in total)
Austria, Belgium, Czech, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Russia, United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Albania, Monaco, Belarus, United States of America, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Australia, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, and Qatar.
2. Air ports accepting the 144-hour visa-free transit policy and the respective scope for visa-free stays
Name of Ports
Scope of Visa-free Staying
Shanghai Pudong International Airport
January 30, 2016
Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport
Shanghai Train Station
Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal
Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal
Nanjing Lukou International Airport
Nanjing, Jiangsu Province
Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport
Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province
Beijing Capital International Airport
December 28, 2017
Beijingxi Railway Station
Tianjin Binhai International Airport
Tianjin International Cruise Home Port
Shijiazhuang Zhengding International Airport
Shijiazhuang, Hebei Province
Port of Qinhuangdao
Qinhuangdao, Hebei Province
Shenyang Taoxian International Airport
Shenyang, Liaoning Province
January 1, 2018
Dalian Zhoushuizi International Airport
Dalian, Liaoning Province
Notice: This English version is only for reference. To learn more, please refer to the authoritative Chinese version.